Back in the swing….

Last week was very “light” on the work front. The only hearing I had scheduled – a TPR – was canceled when DSS withdrew their petition “without prejudice” (just means they can come back and file again). You would think I got all sorts of things done. Not so’s you’d notice, LOL!:) I did take the opportunity to sleep a little more and to enjoy time with the grand kids and knit just a little bit:)I got another piece done for Nancy’s Christmas gift (left front – the one with the button-band for women), and began working on yet another cowl for the penultimate of my progeny, the divine Ms. S.
Thanksgiving was terrific! Different this year was the fact that our Thanksgiving service took place Thanksgiving morning rather than the Wednesday evening before. I kind of missed that as did a number of parishioners, for the attendance was not so good Thursday morning – but the cool thing was, it got me up, out and ready to go for the morning. I never stuff my turkey, so it doesn’t take so long to cook. Because D had to work night shift for Howard County 911, I made sure to have dinner ready by 5 PM. Everyone came except son D’s GF C and B’s GF J both for different reasons. Baby John was our new wonderful addition:) and we had the “kids’ table” for the second Thanksgiving! That table is growing!:)
Friday after Turkey day court was closed, so that’s an automatic holiday for us:) Slept in, hung around the house, not much went on:) Saturday, we watched the grandgirls for a few hours, and the two clients I wanted to visit were visiting with their family, so that had to wait. I did get work done on the aforementioned knitting projects. In fact, my Friday and Saturday nights looked like this:

John at work, the adult kids out doing their Black Friday/Saturday thing, the latest installments of my favorite podcasts (Cast On, Cogknitive Podcast, KnitPicks, KnitmoreGirls and Electric Sheep) at hand, and knitting:) Sigh…..and don’t forget the ubiquitous glass of Cabernet:) Heaven!

Sunday, I was a Bad Grandma. I ran away from home for the day, with John’s blessing (What, are you kidding? He thought he’d died and gone to Heaven!) I sang with a few choristers at the late service after making a modified Caprese salad (used cherry tomatoes sliced in half with similar sized mozzarella cubes to travel better) to bring to the house of dear friends (John was invited, but he had worked the night before and was slotted to work Sunday night as well). A group of us went to an Advent evensong service of readings and music at the Washington National Cathedral. Ahhhhhhh. It was outstanding! I think Advent is my favorite Church season. I am so grateful to N and R for arranging this at their home!
Before we settled ourselves into our seats for the service, we went up to one of the towers. There was still a lot of afternoon sun left and the views were breathtaking! Normally a real sufferer from vertigo, it didn’t bother me at all! As soon as I got off the elevator, I ran to the window – so NOT like me! And this is the view that greeted me! Isn’t it wonderful? The sight of the National Cathedral, the minute we get within eyeshot of it, never ceases to stop me in my tracks.
You may recall, dear 2.5 readers, that back in November of 2006, I attended the Investiture of Katharine Jefferts-Schori, our Presiding Bishop. I took a lot of pictures of the Cathedral then, too. My friend, Vicki, herself a seminary graduate awaiting ordination in Connecticut, was there with me. Also present was a friend of Vicki’s from seminary who was living in Florida, also awaiting ordination. After the service, we drove around the Cathedral, taking outside pictures. Vicki’s friend (Vick, if you read this, please supply her name – I’m embarrassed not to have remembered it!) said, “Stop. Wait a minute, let’s really take a look at this. This is OUR Cathedral!” I remembered thinking how much I took for granted living so near it, that a mere 45-minute drive and a few bucks’ worth of parking would get me there. It really is an amazing place and I never forget Vicki’s friend’s remarks when I go there.
After the Evensong Service, we went back to N and R’s house for “Wassail,” Coffee, wine and an assortment of home-made desserts, some of the group practiced music for next Sunday, and the rest of us watched, in awe:)
Finally, it was time to go. I got home a short while later, thinking I’d missed the fun with the grandangels, but thankfully, they were still there:) I got to hug and cuddle every one of them:)!  A perfect end to a peaceful and nice holiday:)!
* * * * * * * * * * * * *
Well, today was back to work: court in the morning, visits in the afternoon and evening and here I am, ever grateful to be employed!
Well, it’s late and I’d better get going!
God be with you ’til we meet again!

Published by fuguestateknits

Wife of one, mother of six, Grammy to eight (so far) and lawyer for many young persons, I love to sing, read, knit and walk. My politics are somewhat left of Marx and I want to hear what you think, too!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: