On Endings and Goodbyes (sniff):
1. Best ending of a movie/book/TV show
Movie: Dad….Wanna have a catch? (Field of Dreams)
Book: The ending to The Color Purple
TV Show: The ending of the second Bob Newhart Show – when he’s back in Chicago with Suzanne Pleshette’s character, treating the entire series in Vermont as a dream/nightmare. That man never ceases to make me laugh!
2. Worst ending of a movie/book/TV show
Movie: Any stupid Joan Crawford movie about a woman with too much power who pays with eternal loneliness
Second place: The Children’s Hour with Shirley McLain and Audrey Hepburn (blecccchhhh)
Book: Bambi’s Children (OK, so I’m a sap)
TV Show: The Sopranos (!!!!!)
3. Tell about a memorable goodbye you’ve experienced. I got a beautiful send-off my junior year in college from my church friends/prayer group in Middlebury before I left for Germany for Spring semester. I felt so incredibly loved.
4. Is it true that “all good things must come to an end”? No – most good things are eternal.
5. “Everything I ever let go of has claw marks on it.” –Anne Lamott
Discuss.Bonus: “It isn’t over until the fat lady sings.” I’ve never loved this expression. So propose an alternative: “It isn’t over until the fat lady dates the great guy or the great gal if you swing that way….”